city in space - berlin - locations


UB Fehrbeliner Platz


Metro Stations



The first underground stations in the cosmopolitan metropolises at the close of the 19th century were for the most part unified standard designs, such as those that still exist in London, Paris and New York today. Conversely, from the outset, plans for underground stations in Berlin have largely been subject to the architectural trends of the period when they were built. Hence, for the practised observer, a ride on the Berlin underground is a journey though the history of architecture. Stations along the routes built up to 1930 are characterised by industrial architecture, Art Nouveau, histor-ism and new functionalism.  After a twenty-year interruption, the underground network in the western part of the city was extended in 1953. The first stage was the extension of the U6 to the terminus at Alt-Tegel,  followed by the U9 from Leopoldplatz to Spichernstraße. As in the past, the station buildings were an expression of the architecture and design of their time: with trapeze supports and curved "butterfly ceilings", they represent the era of kidney-shaped coffee tables. The classics of this period are the Kurfürstendamm and Hansaplatz stations, designed by Bruno Grimmek.  From the early sixties, the architectural design of the underground was in the hands of  the Senate architect Rainer G. Rümmler. These years were shaped by technical functionalism, with a  standardised simplicity that is unsurpassable. This can still be admired today on the section of the U7 from Blaschkoallee to Zwickauer Damm and on the U6 from Alt-Tempelhof to Alt-Mariendorf.  From the seventies onwards, with increasing demand and state funding, a prestige archi- tecture developed that initially reflected the Pop Art typical of the time. Examples among the  underground stations portrayed here include Fehrbelliner Platz on the U7, and Schlossstraße and Rathaus Steglitz on the U9.  In the early eighties, Paulsternstraße and the monumental station Rathaus Spandau on the  U7 were both constructed in the style of the postmodern era.  These two stations in the West are contrasted by the simple concrete stations from the final era of the GDR on the last section of the U5 to Hönow.